Court Activity 2007
During the year 41 new grants of Arms were made, of which 28 were to individuals, 8 to corporate bodies and 5 to Local Authorities. In addition there were 21 matriculations from existing grants.
This was a busy year for ceremonial engagements.
- On 18 May the Ceremony of the Keys took place at the Palace of Holyroodhouse when the Lord High Commissioner to the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland, His Royal Highness the Duke of York, received the Keys of the City of Edinburgh from the Right Honourable the Lord Provost. The Ceremony was attended by the Lord Lyon , Ross Herald and Bute Pursuivant. The State Trumpeters were on duty.
- On 19 May The Lord High Commissioner attended the Opening of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland at the Assembly Hall. The Lord High Constable of Scotland (the Earl of Erroll), the Hereditary Master of the Household in Scotland (the Duke of Argyll), the Hereditary Bearer of the Royal Banner of Scotland (the Earl of Dundee) and the Hereditary Bearer of the National Flag of Scotland (the Earl of Lauderdale, represented by the Master of Lauderdale) were in attendance. The Lord Lyon, Rothesay and Ross Heralds, and Carrick and Bute Pursuivants were also on duty. The State Trumpeters were on duty.
- On 20 May the Lord High Commissioner attended the Church Service of the General Assembly at St Giles' Cathedral. The Lord Lyon, Rothesay and Ross Heralds, and Carrick and Bute Pursuivants were in attendance.
- The Annual Service of Commemoration took place at the Scottish National War Memorial in Edinburgh Castle on 30 May. The Lord Lyon, Ross Herald and Carrick P ursuivant were in attendance.
- On 22 June the Annual Festival of the P riory of Scotland of the Order of St. John was held in Dundee Parish Church and was attended by the Lord Lyon accompanied by Ross Herald and Carrick Pursuivant.
- Also on 22 June the Installation Ceremony took place on the Esplanade of Edinburgh Castle of Major General David McDowall, General Officer Commanding Second Division, as Governor of Edinburgh Castle. The ceremony was attended by the Lord Lyon accompanied by Albany, Rothesay and Ross Heralds and by Carrick and Bute Pursuivants. The State Trumpeters were on duty.
- On 30 June Her Majesty The Queen opened the Third Session of the Scottish Parliament at Holyrood. The Duke of Hamilton, bearing the Crown of Scotland, was present, accompanied by Albany and Ross Heralds and by Carrick and Bute Pursuivants.
- On 11 September the funeral of The Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry, Chancellor of the Order of the Thistle, took place at Melrose Abbey. The Lord Lyon, Secretary of the Order of the Thistle, was represented by Albany Herald. Carrick Pursuivant was also on duty.
- On 2 December the Annual Service of the Order of the Thistle was held in the Thistle Chapel. It was attended by the Chancellor of the Order (the Earl of Airlie) and members of the Order together with the Dean, the Secretary, Green Rod, Albany, Rothesay and Ross Heralds and Unicorn, Carrick and Bute Pursuivants.
During the year Letters Patent granting new Arms were presented to St Aloysius' College, Glasgow by Carrick Pursuivant and to Pittenweem and District Community Council by Bute Pursuivant.
In February and March the Lord Lyon visited St Andrews' Societies and other bodies in Florida, Georgia, North and South Carolina and New York .
During the year the Lord Lyon announced his intention to retire in December. He remained in post at the year end, pending the appointment of a successor.